I’ve mentioned before: I don’t love football. But I do love the Super Bowl! Why? Because I get to hang out with friends and eat awesome food. Finger foods, dips, and desserts. It’s wonderful. Not only do I love eating them, but I love making them. I’m always on the lookout for a new recipe to try that I’ve never tried before – yet is still really simple.
This year, I decided to make a dessert. I had seen this recipe in passing, and I had to try it. I must say the Chocolate Croissant Braid was easy, delicious, and successful!
To start, you only need a few ingredients:
- 1 Puff pastry
- 1 4oz chocolate bar
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar
Start by thawing out the puff pastry until it will easily unfold without breaking and preheat your oven to 400° (or based on the puff pastry package). Place the chocolate bar in the middle, and cut the puff pastry to prepare the braid. (See below for detail)
Cut as many or as few pieces on each side as you want, just make sure both sides are even.
Now it’s time to start the braid. Start by folding over both end pieces. Then alternate folding over pieces on each side. I did right, left, right, left, etc.
Keep folding until you have completed your braid.
Create an egg wash by mixing your egg and a splash of water. Brush the egg wash over your braid and pop it in the oven.
Side note: I made two of these and forgot the egg wash the first time. Oops! It still tasted great, but the second one was better and prettier.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
That gorgeous color comes from that egg wash!
Let cool for about 10 minutes, then sprinkle with the powdered sugar. Serve while warm and gooey, or else it will just taste like a chocolate bar wrapped in a croissant. Still good, but everyone knows melted chocolate is so much better!
Chocolate Croissant Braid Recipe
- 1 Puff Pastry
- 1 4 oz. Chocolate Bar (semi-sweet or milk chocolate)
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°, or according to puff pastry package.
- Spread parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and thaw the puff pastry, then unfold it.
- Place chocolate bar in the middle of puff pastry.
- Cut the pastry for your braid (see image above for detail).
- Fold the braid, starting with the end pieces, then alternate sides when folding each piece over the chocolate bar.
- Brush with egg wash (1 egg + splash of water).
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm and gooey!